Thai Marriage Visa

If you are married to a Thai citizen then you can apply for a Thai marriage visa in order to live in Thailand. The process starts at the Thai embassy where you have to apply for a 3 month or 90 day Thai marriage visa. The process is mainly started at a Thai Embassy in Asia by expats in Thailand. The Thai marriage visa is also called the Thai “O” visa in Thailand.

Thai Marriage Visa

Some of the most common Thai embassies which are used in Asia to start the process is the Thai Embassy in Penang, the Thai Embassy in Malaysia, the Thai Embassy in Cambodia and also the Thai Embassy in Laos. These are the most common embassies in Asia which are used. The others which are used are the Thai Embassy in Hull while in the UK, the Thai Embassy in Washington if you are in the US and finally the Thai Embassy in Canberra if you are an Australian. You can also hire an attorney in Thailand for the marriage visa application before you arrive in Thailand.

What documents are needed?

There are a number of documents which you will need from for the Thai Embassy. These are the documents which they normally require.

  • – Copy of your passport;
  • – Also a copy of your marriage certificate;
  • – Copy of your Thai marriage certificate (the fancy one and the multipage one)
  • – Also a copy of your Thai wife’s ID card
  • – Copy of your Thai wife’s Tabian Baan (house papers)
  • – Also a copy of bank account to show 400,000THB in your account (not all embassies)
  • – Copy of your children’s birth certificates (if any)

Once this has been handed in at the Embassy you now need to wait. If it is at the Thai Embassy in Hull it is an overnight process. Also if it is at the Thai Embassy in Cambodia it is a 4 day process no counting weekends. If you are going in Asia then ensure you either go on a Monday or Tuesday as they do change how long they take to issue the visa.

Common Issues

Certain Thai Embassies in the EU now want to see 2,000 Euro in your bank account before they issue you with a marriage visa. Also note that many will not issue you more than 2 back-to-back marriage visas and will simply issue you with a Thai tourist visa instead of a marriage visa.

Thai Marriage Visa

Once the visa is issued you enter Thailand and you then approach Thai immigration. Depending on where you live you will need to approach the correct immigration office as you will need to do your 90 day reporting at this office. Thai immigration is divided into 4 regions in Thailand. See where you live and approach Thai immigration in your area as listed on this website.

North – Thai Immigration North

(Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Song, Chiang Mai)

Central – Thai Immigration Central (Lopburi, Trat, Rayong, Pattaya, Bangkok)

South – Thai Immigration South (SongKhla, Saturn, Krabi Phuket)

North East – Thai Immigration North East (Udon Thani, Sisaket, Nong Khai, Khon Khaen)

We have listed the areas with examples of which immigration is located where. Click on the bold lettering to get to the full listing for all immigration offices in that region.

Documents need for a 12 month marriage visa:

The following documents are needed when you go. It is mainly the documents which you handed in at the embassy plus additional documents would be needed and these have been listed below.

  • – Copy of your passport;
  • – Copy of your marriage certificate;
  • – Also a copy of your Thai marriage certificate (the fancy one and the multipage one)
  • – Copy of your Thai wife’s ID card
  • – Copy of your Thai wife’s Tabian Baan (house papers)
  • – Also a copy of Thai bank account to show 400,000THB in your account
  • – Copy of your children’s birth certificates (if any)
  • – Also a copy of map to where you live in Thailand
  • – Copy of photos of you are your wife together

This process will take 3 weeks to complete. Once this is done you need to ensure the following:

Re-Entry Permits:

If you are going to be leaving the country and wanting to return with your visa status unchanged then you need to ensure that you have a re-entry permit in your passport before you leave the country. This will ensure that your visa is not invalidated when you leave Thailand.

90 Day Reporting:

Once you have the visa extended you now need to report to Thai immigration every 90 days. This is called 90 day reporting and if you are late they will change you 500THB per day for each day you are late. You need to ensure that you report 1 week before or 1 week after the due date. Note that the 7 days includes weekends.

Marriage Visa Basic Requirements:

  • You must be legally married to a Thai national and have a valid marriage certificate which has been issued by the Thai government (see marriage in Thailand) or a foreign marriage certificate which has been translated and certified by the Thai government. A Thai ceremonial wedding will not be considered valid for immigration purposes.
  • You must meet the basic minimum financial criteria by showing a monthly income of 40,000 THB per month or a bank deposit balance of 400,000 THB.
  • You must be on a Non-Immigrant type visa to start the process with immigration.


Required Documents:

  • (Two signed copies of all documents) A Non-immigrant O visa Marriage certificate (Kor Ror 3) Current Kor Ror 2 from your District Office (Amphur)
  • Three photos each of the two of you in your house. This and in front of your house with house number showing. If you have children, please include them in the photo.
  • A hand drawn map to your house.
  • A letter from your Village Headman (Phuyai baan) testifying to your relationship 40,000 Baht per month income or 400,000 baht in the bank for a minimum of 2 months (3 months for subsequent extensions).*
  • Thai spouse’s ID card. Thai spouse’s House Registration Document (tabian ban).
  • Copies of all Thai stamps in passport and ID page. TM 6 Departure card. Two visa photos.
  • *This has changed and no longer applicable.



Incoming search terms:

error: Content is protected !!